Nestled among farm fields in beautiful south-central Wisconsin lies Cambridge – the lakeside village where the arts thrive.
Full of charm and natural beauty with wonderful outdoor adventures, fire-fueled outdoor events, quaint specialty shops, cozy coffee shops, art studios and antique shops. These are just of few of the experiences that made Cambridge one of the top “100 Best Small Town Getaways” by Midwest Living Magazine.
The crystal-clear waters of Lake Ripley are ideal for swimming, power boating, canoeing, jet skiing, waterskiing, sailing, and fishing. A true sportsman’s paradise, Lake Ripley boasts the Wisconsin state record for large-mouth bass. Bluegill, Walleye, Northern, and bass abound. Winter activities include ice fishing, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing.
Lake Ripley Park, located on the western shore of Lake Ripley, is an 18-acre park which offers a beach, tennis courts, disc golf course, basketball court, beach-front playground, volleyball courts, and so much more. Also available are umbrella rentals and concession stand and on-site bathhouse with showers. Winter activities include a spectacular drive-through holiday lights display, sledding and cross–country skiing.
Camrock County Park
Camrock County Park has some of the best mountain biking in the state. Biking and cross–country trails at CamRock include a 3.5-mile main loop with additional branching trails. Fabulous hiking and picnicking are offered with a natural play area for the kids. Winter activities include the downtown ice-skating rink, sledding, cross-country skiing and fat tire biking. With a downtown boat-launch you can paddle through Camrock Park on Koshkonong Creek, which is a favorite for canoeists and kayakers. Bicyclists can connect to the nearby Glacial Drumlin State Bike Trail via peaceful country roads.
Visit a working dairy farm and learn about what goes into your milk and ice cream! Hinchley’s Dairy Farm Tours offers a look into farm life with tours and tractor rides. See the new babies!
History buffs will get a sense of the rich heritage of the greater Cambridge and Lake Ripley area at the Cambridge Historic School, listed on the Wisconsin and National Register of Historic Places. As described by Town and Country Living, a self-guided walking tour of historic homes delights all who take it with a range of architectural styles and period details. Local celebrities include Ole Evinrude, Arthur Davidson and Matt Kenseth.
Shopping & Dining
Cambridge boasts a wide variety of quaint shops and specialty stores. Throughout town, anchored by historic Main Street, shoppers will find hand-made furniture, salt-glazed and art pottery, clothing, gems, antiques, galleries, jewelry and more. Relax in one of our coffee houses and enjoy a great meal at our restaurants. We have a diverse collection of local pubs and cafes, plus our hometown Cambridge Winery and Dancing Goat Distillery.
The Arts thrive in Cambridge!
Visit the many art studios in the Cambridge area. Our artists host the Spring Pottery Tour, Midwest Fire Fest and the Earth, Wood & Fire Artist tour among others throughout the year.
- Avid Gardener offers the best plants, garden tools, hats and gloves, wine, cheese and sausage and unique gifts.
- The Garment Shop has all of your favorite clothing brands including Tribal and Karen Hart, jewelry, accessories and attention to detail. There are always warm greetings at The Garment Shop in downtown Cambridge.
- Located in Galleria 214, Ruby Rose Gallery has a plethora of gems, rocks, fossils, jewelry, lighting and other one of a kind gift items. It’s our hometown rock shop!
- Walk across the street to find a treasure at Creekside, Art, Antiques & Treasures where you’ll find that perfect piece you’ve been looking for!
- Located near Camrock County Park, the Cambridge Market Cafe is the perfect spot to grab a refreshing drink, breakfast, lunch or grazing board after a ride on the trail. They also have fabulous baked goods.
- Cambridge Winery is the perfect spot enjoy a glass of wine with their gourmet dishes, small plates and weekly unique pizza and burger options. They also offer a spectacular event venue.
- Fantastic food, outdoor seating and a large stone room venue space is offered at The Keystone Grill. You have to try their BBQ?
- One of our favorite places for breakfast and lunch is the Lake Ripley Family Restaurant which offers the crispiest hash browns, hot coffee and friendly service.
- Sip fine spirits at Dancing Goat Distillery in their beautiful tasting room. Enjoy a tour and learn about their farm to bottle art and science of distillation.
- During the summer, enjoy wood-fired pizza on the farm at Sprouting Acres! Held the 1st & 3rd Sunday from May to October.
The Village bustles with activity during the numerous festivals held year-round. The signature event is the summertime Midwest Fire Fest which is a celebration of all things created with fire, heat, and smoke with an on-site firing and hot reveal of a clay sculpture, community iron pour, fire dancers, a Fire Feast and smoking hot music all weekend.
Other events include Girls Night Out, Spring Pottery Tour, Earth, Wood & Fire art tour, Memorial Day Parade, outdoor summer concerts, Battle at Camrock mountain bike race, Cannonball Run, the Lake Ripley Ride and the Try Cambridge Tri triathlon. Keep up with all of Cambridge events by following our events listing.
Come Join Us
Located just 20 minutes east of Madison and one hour west of Milwaukee, Cambridge is nestled in the heart of south central Wisconsin and is just waiting for you to discover our many simple pleasures.