Camping in Jefferson County
It’s that time of year, it’s time to go camping! Did you know that you can tent camp and enjoy the star filled skies along with the sights and sounds of nature so close to home? Jefferson County Parks has two parks that provide this opportunity for you.
Dorothy Carnes East
Property address: N3299 Banker Road, Fort Atkinson
Carnes east has two primitive walk-in camp sites that are waiting for you. The park offers 513 acres on which to explore a multitude of habitats ranging from tall grass prairies to hard wood forests and more than 10 miles of trails provide for recreational opportunities for users of all abilities.
Property address: N8625 Jefferson Road, Watertown, WI 53094
Cappie’s Landing, located on the Rock River just south of Watertown, provides two primitive walk-in camping opportunities. The two primitive camping sites are open for walk-in camping only. Laws restrict total campers to a maximum of six persons per site. NO MORE THAN NINE TOTAL CAMPERS will be allowed at one time.
Stop by the Jefferson County Parks Department to make your reservations today.
Each of the campsites contains the following amenities:
- One picnic table
- Primitive seating
- Fire ring with grill
- Food hang
- Vault toilet
- Level area for tent placement
- Campsites are $20 a night for each site.
- Seasonal reservations can be made for May 1st – October 31st of each year.
- Off season reservations made by special permit through the parks department office.
- Reservations can be made starting January 1st of the calendar year you plan to camp.
- All reservations must be made at least one week (7-days) in advance of desired check in date.
- Payment is required at the time of reservation.
- Cancellations made within 7 days of your scheduled reservation will result in forfeit of your fee.